St. Joseph’s Primary School, Macroom is a girls’ Primary School with infant boys up to First Class. It is a Catholic primary school, under the patronage of Bishop William Crean, Bisop of Cloyne.
St. Joseph’s Primary School, is a community which is proud of its Catholic tradition as handed down by the Sisters of Mercy. This ethos or characteristic spirit of the school encompasses collective attitudes, beliefs, core values, traditions, aspirations and goals. These are reflected in the actual practices which are carried out in the school on a daily, weekly and yearly basis. This Catholic ethos is embedded in the following ways –
- The school aims at promoting the full and harmonious development of all aspects of the pupil, including their relationship with God, with other people and with the environment.
- The Principal and teaching staff aim at maintaining high professional standards and creating a safe and happy environment.
- A spirit of mutual respect is promoted within the school community. Pupils are nurtured to appreciate and respect people of different religions and of different nationalities.
- The Board of Management and the teachers have adopted the Grow in Love programme which is taught on a daily basis.
- The pupils are prepared for the sacraments of First Confession, First Holy Communion and Confirmation, in accordance with arrangements in the diocese.
- Prayer is a feature of the school day.
- Religious feasts are celebrated throughout the year i.e. Mercy Day, remembering the dead in November, Advent, Christmas, St. Brigid’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Lent, Easter, May as the month of Mary, Corpus Christi
- Close contact is maintained between school and home. Parents / guardians and teachers support one another and collaborate with one another in leading the children to the fullness of their potential at the different stages.
It is our wish that all visitors to the school would sense, upon entering the premises, the warmth, friendship and collegiality of the whole school community.
Mission Statement of St. Joseph’s Primary School
St. Joseph’s Primary School wish to create a nurturing environment where all pupils are encouraged to develop their full potential and gifts – academic, social, creative, spiritual, moral and cultural.
While St. Joseph’s Primary School, is a Catholic school, it is an all-inclusive school where diversity is celebrated while developing the individual’s self-respect and respect for others.
The school values the contribution of all, the students, the teachers, the parents and the wider community. Our students are encouraged to value their role in their local, national, European and global community.